The Charter for Safe Travel is a partnership between the Australian Government and the travel industry to assist Australians to travel safely overseas. Under the Charter, the travel industry encourages individuals to consult travel advisories and to take out appropriate travel insurance.
Principles of the Charter for Safe Travel
Safe Travel partners commit to:
Providing travellers with DFAT consular travel advice
- Informing clients about the Government’s travel advice service, including in ticketing and promotional information.
- Highlighting the Government’s travel advice for those destinations where the Government advises against travel.
- Working with the Government to improve its travel advisory service to overseas travellers and encourage client feedback on its service.
Encouraging travellers to take out adequate travel insurance
- Reminding travellers of the importance of travel insurance before going overseas.
- Pointing out the potential consequences of travelling without insurance and direct travellers to the insurance link on the DFAT web site.
- Informing travellers of the preparations they need to make before travelling.
- Promoting the top ten ‘safe travel’ tips and advise travellers where they can obtain information about health issues and risks.
- Reminding travellers to check their passport is in order and that they have the correct visas.
- Reminding travellers to keep in touch with family and friends while travelling.
- Working closely with the Government to promote the safe travel of Australians overseas.
- Where appropriate, discussing emerging problems and new issues with the Government and others in the industry, and endeavouring to liaise closely with the Government during crises.
- Noting the Government’s commitment to supporting the travel industry’s efforts to promote safe travel through the provision of publications, speakers to industry forums and advice. safe travel travel advice
The charter is not intended to create legal relations.
Text of the Charter for Safe Travel
This is to certify that (travel industry representative) is a partner in the Charter for Safe Travel, a joint initiative between the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and the Australian travel industry.
Under this Charter we recognise our shared commitment to assisting Australians overseas to travel safely.
While it is the responsibility of the individual traveller to prepare adequately for overseas travel, we recognise the invaluable part we can play to assist this preparation.
As part of our service to our clients and to the Australian public, we commit to:
- Provide travellers with DFAT consular travel advice.
- Encourage travellers to take out adequate travel insurance.
- Inform travellers of the preparations they need to make before travelling.
- Work together in partnership with Government and other travel professionals to promote safe travel.
Minister for Foreign Affairs
CEO Australian Federation of Travel Agents
Become a Safe Travel partner
Complete the registration form.